10 Reasons to Visit Gettysburg This Winter
Published January 4, 2011
10. Shopping at the Outlet Shops at Gettysburg. The Gettysburg Outlets offer a great shopping experience all year round! With new stores like Tommy Hilfiger and Brooks Brothers, as well as a movie theater and restaurants, this is a great destination during the winter months in Gettysburg. Not to mention, customers enjoy tax-free shopping!
9. Wine Appreciation Classes. Take time this winter to find a new hobby like wine appreciation! With three wineries in the area, Gettysburg is the perfect place to start. Adams County Winery offers Wine Appreciation Classes to help you get started. They teach you about wine history, vineyard activities, the wine-making process, wine attributes and, of course, tasting. $35 admission includes a tour of the operations area, followed by a light meal and wine. For dates and more information visit here.
8. Majestic Theater shows. The famous Majestic Theater is holding shows in January and February that you won’t want to miss! The Wonder Bread Years, which is a salute to the Baby Boomer Generation, and Thaddeus Rex, a high energy show for parents and their children, are scheduled for January. In February, we can look forward to an entertaining evening of the music and dance from Abraham Lincoln’s time, a Winter Jazz Ensemble, and more! Click here for the full calendar.
7. Great Hotel Rates. Planning a Gettysburg Getaway in the slower months of winter will allow you to save money with “out of season rates.” For current Historic Gettysburg Hotel rates click here.
6. Curl up in a fireplace room. Speaking of great hotel rates, the cold winter months gives a great reason to take full advantage of the Gettysburg Hotel’s fireplace suites. Escape with someone you love, enjoy quaint and charming downtown Gettysburg, and finish your evening by a cozy fire.
5. Live Music at Hauser Estate Winery. The view from Hauser Estate Winery’s Tasting Room is beautiful no matter the season! Enjoy live music with Hauser After Hours every Friday OR Saturday and every Thursday for Thirsty Thursday Happy Hour (starting January 20th). For more information click here.
4. Less crowds! In general, you will experience less crowds in Gettysburg when you visit in the winter months. Take your time and come to relax!
3. Skiing, Snowboarding and Snow Tubing at Ski Liberty. If winter sports are something you are interested in, you must put Ski Liberty on your to-do list this season. Located just 8 miles Southwest of Gettysburg, the resort offers over 100 acres of skiing,snowboarding and snow tubing trails. They also hold special events throughout the winter. Click here for listings.
2.Dinner in cozy downtown pubs. Downtown pubs like McClellan’s Tavern and the Dobbin House Springhouse Tavern are the perfect places to visit during the winter months. Their cozy atmosphere and fireside dining makes them great spots to relax and enjoy the season!
1. Less Distraction on the Battlefield. An excerpt from an article by David Blasco, “In the summer the crowds of visitors swell and tour buses rumble like artillery caissons. On a battleground where so many sacrificed, a few energetic teenagers can completely destroy the mood. All these distractions vanish in winter…” Read his full article here packed with suggestions for a visit to the Gettysburg Battlefield and Visitor Center in the winter.